Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Natural dyes

Hello, its been a bit as life has a tendency to keep me busy these days! So, I thought I'd share something that has recently caught my attention: natural dyes!

I have become enamored with the idea of planting my own dye garden and here's a little list of what I'm thinking of... (with the colors the plants yield on wool.)
  • Orange cosmos (yellow/orange)
  • Purple Basil (silvery purple)
  • Hollyhocks (mint/green)
  • Japanese Indigo (blue)
  • Red cabbage (purple)
  • Marigold (yellow)

I wanted to plant Woad, but in Colorado it's considered a noxious weed to my surprise. It apparently takes over everything, so I'm thinking ....nah.



Living in the Colorado foothills, I love to see the leaves turn in the fall; especially the Aspen trees. Around here, we go for car and/or bike trips up mountain roads to see the foliage. What does this have to do with dye? According to a book I recently picked up, titled Harvesting Color, you can use Aspen leaves to get a beautiful golden yellow.

I've always loved fall but now I'm even more excited. I can't wait to dye some wool and make Aspen colored scarves and hats for winter!




No comments:

Post a Comment